Friday, May 15, 2009

New Baby! Part Two!

Well, everything has been going good with our new boy cowboy! Up until Wednesday Night. We went to riding club and I noticed that he was straining to pee. When we came home i noticed dancer spraying milk all over and decided that something must be wrong. So I called Hal Schiffner and asked him what I should do. We ended up going to the store and got baby bottles and pedialyte. We ended up milking dancer and giving cowboy and enema. Enema worked great but we couldn't keep him up or get anything down him. So hal came over and looked at him and gave him some banamine. At that point we had gotten a thermometer and his temperature was 99.5. Hal finally told us that he needed to get to the vet immediately. So poor guy, we through him into the trailer and hauled him 30 miles to the vet. We got there at 11:00 and immediately put an IV in him as a precaution, then we tubed him after milking dancer again and getting milk into him. We then ran a full bag of fluids and got antibiotics into him. I went home with my husband and dad until 3 and then headed back to the vet at 3:30 to give him fluids again. I have to send a big thanks out to Hal & April Schiffner! The vet told me that either I take care of him or hire someone, so I decided to just take care of him. Hal was there to help me at 3:30 and then they let me stay in their extra bedroom so I could be back at 7. Then to make things great, thursday was the vets day off, so we had to make sure we were there every 2-3 hours to check on him. We gave him his antibiotics and he was doing better so we didn't give him any fluids until 3:00 just as a precaution. He has now been nursing and doing good on his own! So we were they again at 8 for antibiotics and I was able to stay with Hal and April so I could be back at 1 to give him his last antibiotics, or so I thought. So this morning I had the vet draw blood for a blood panel. He ran a blood panel and everything was great, electrolytes were great also, however his IgG levels are really low, 800 is optimum, 400 is really bad and his number is 428. So now we've got him on antibiotics and diarrhea medicine. We also are ready with fluids if he should need them. So..as of right now we will be ordering an IgG transfusion on monday and getting it into him on tuesday. Then hopefully we can get over this little issue! We brought him home because the vet won't be in tomorrow and these pictures and video were taken when we got home and got him back into his stall! He is definitely doing better!

0 comments: